Oh Deer! They are on the move.
It’s that time of year again when deer movements bring them closer to the roadway and in the path of drivers. Although deer/vehicle crashers are inevitable, some of these accidents could have been prevented by remembering these tips:
- If you see a deer, slow down and expect more to follow.
- Use special caution in areas where deer crossing signs are posted.
- Drive at a safe speed and ALWAYS wear your seat belt.
- During night time hours, use your high beams when no traffic is approaching. This may help you see the deer much sooner and allow you to react accordingly.
- Keep a close lookout for deer around dawn and dusk.
- If a crash is unavoidable, don’t swerve! It’s usually better to strike a deer than another vehicle or an object such as a tree.
We know accidents with deer will continue to happen, but knowing the riskiest times of the day and the year, and by taking a few simple safety precautions, you can considerably reduce your chances of hitting a deer. Most importantly, we want you to stay safe!
Contact us below for all your auto insurance needs.